The CATCH is DMM’s towable safety line rope adjustment device, that features a unique towable release mechanism and has undergone extensive field testing, including real person main line failures and uncontrolled descents.
A few years back, there was a change in the accepted best rope access practice with using a towable back-up device, because of a potential safety issue; particularly when abseiling holding the device. DMM decided to tackle the problem with this equipment and design out the shortfall.
They stepped away from ‘self-tending’ devices and focused on industry feedback from rope access technicians and managers who said that they they preferred a modification to the system they were already accustomed to using, but with the safety concerns addressed.
This was achieved with DMM’s patent pending towable release mechanism (TRM). This means, if in the event of an incident while descending and towing the Catch as a back-up device, the technician’s panic function is to grab the Catch handle then the device will activate. And equally, simply letting go of the TRM results in the ‘tooth free’ rope friendly stainless steel cam also locking onto the safety line.
DMM felt that it was important to make a device that could be placed on a rope and didn’t slip down, as well as being able to use your existing cow’s-tail for attachment. Knowing how tough the environments where these devices are going to be used it was also a priority that they’re easy to clean and maintain.
The Catch is certified to EN 12841:2006 for Type A devices on approved 11mm diameter kernmantel ropes at a rated load of 100 kg (single person use), under hot, cold and wet conditions as defined in the standard.
The certification requires the Catch to arrest the fall of a steel mass of 100kg in a Fall Factor 2 (FF2) situation on a specified lanyard length with a maximum slippage of 2 metres and with an impact force of less than 6kN. It is advisable however and good working practice to ensure that the Catch is not positioned below the harness attachment point (FF1).
- Hot forged aluminium body
- Large attachment eye for multiple connections
- Tether attachment point (2mm diameter cord) - for drop-free installation and removal
- Screw-lockable side plates for semi-permanent attachment to safety line
- Side plate locking screw stowage point in boss
- Stainless steel boss
- Injection moulded/hot forged handle ergonomically shaped for ease of use with descent devices
- Towable Release Mechanism (Patent Pending)
- Rope friendly stainless steel cam
1. This product is for expert use and must only be used by fully trained and qualified personnel
2. Max Lanyard/ Cow's Tail overall length: 80cm (EN 354:2010 Lanyards/Cowstails)
Colours: Blue, Black (shipped assorted, boxes are not marked with colours)
Standards: EN 12841:2006 A
Weight: 320 grams